Kindness and Joy

We (The Husband a bit more than I) frequent a local burger eatery.  Enough so that we've (again, The Husband the most) made the acquaintance of the owner.  Last night he shared this experience with us.

He employs a young man, a tall drink of water, who The Husband has taken a bit of a shine to.  The young man's mother is a long time patron of the burgery who asked George if he would consider hiring him; which George did, no application or interview necessary, the young man was just instantly hired.

Young Man works two hours each day.  He clears and cleans tables, wipes down benches and chairs and maintains the cleanliness standard nicely.  (He is pleasant, quiet and might, perhaps, have some mental challenges.)
Lone tulip coming up through the weeds = joy

The Husband likes to leave Young Man a tip for his service.  To let him know his efforts are recognized.  Young Man appears to like tips, but never, never would ask for one.

Apparently others have become aware of Young Man.  One customer had a button made up for him to wear - something like Restaurant Captain.  I wish I could remember exactly - but the the sentiment is clear:  this is a Young Man with a purpose who is doing his best to fulfill that purpose.

Unexpected gift of cute socks = joy
George told us last night that recently a customer followed Young Man into the restroom, handed him $100 and said, here, this is for you.  Didn't want a fuss made out of giving Young Man some reward for his service, didn't want to be identified, just wanted to be generous.

My heart is warmed.  And my faith in humanity somewhat redeemed.  Occurrences like this happen.  Really.  And if they happen frequently in our little corner of the world, they must be happening all over the world as well.

I find my optimism renewed.  I guess I didn't realize how starved my soul was for some nourishing.  Nourishment that I received yesterday (in various forms) at Women's Conference.  I guess playing the piano for Sr. Primary isn't quite enough to fill my reservoirs.

Today's gratitude:  for joy found in unexpected places, by unexpected people, in unexpected ways.  Joy, a true blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment