Progress At A Snail's Pace

Thoughts abound.

1.  Witnessed interaction between two women.  Woman 1 did not respond to (what she perceived was insincere) bonhomie from Woman 2.  Woman 1 stated her heart was so wounded/broken/damaged from prior treatment from Woman 2 she simply could not muster the emotional fortitude, so she walked on.  Woman 2 was insulted.  Woman 2 (maintaining her complete innocence of any and all wrong doing) followed up with rebuking and recriminations resulting in dissolution of friendship.  Both women lose.

2.  Heard an early 20-something woman on her cellphone in a public place talking about "the last time I was in jail."  Obviously not the first time.  Wondered what was so awry in her life that she has been jailed multiple times.

3.  Watched a white-bearded (makes one think he had some wisdom) 50-something man in a challenging manner call a 60-something man names.  In public.  Because the second man was in the way of the man's view of something.  The overt reason is trivial and inconsequential.  The back story remains unknown, but the question is still there.  What drove this man to be so totally rude to another without even the hint of kindness?

People are hard on each other.  The time we are living in seems fraught with tension, stress, disappointment and fear.  So we lash out.   We preach one thing (kindness/love) and behave the opposite.  Our minds know how we should behave.  Our emotions often govern differently.

I frequently look at these kind of situations as a test.  Often I fail.  Sometimes I pass.  And occasionally it is too close to call.  But I continue to try.  Each day brings new opportunities to hold my tongue, to respond with a smile instead of a snarl.  And at the end of each day I once again kneel to ask forgiveness for the wrongs I succumbed to.

Hopefully I am making progress.  It seems so slow.  I feel like I'm moving forward slower than a snail.

I watch the response to tragedy - the recent tornado devastation in Oklahoma is an example of how things can bring out the best in people.  Commendable. But the day to day treatment of others exposes the true state of our hearts.

Jason F. Wright said this (in his column about Abercrombie and Fitch):  "Beauty is demonstrated in the way we treat others, especially when we disagree with them or when they look different from us."  And I add - even when they mistreat us.

And I read this the other day:  "Compassion is the universal language."

Today's hope:  for the strength to be kind.  Always.  For the recognition of others as children of God, who have their own set of (mostly hidden) challenges.  For the ability to quickly and completely forgive and move on.  For awareness - of all things good in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment