A Sunday Dislike

I dislike that feeling of being "judged and found wanting."  It happens.  To all of us.  Hopefully on rare occasions.  But still, more often than I find comfortable.

The thing is...none of us is perfect.  Not one.  No matter what.  When I get that "judged" feeling, I try to remember that.  I try to keep in mind that every single person on this earth chose to be here.  That we are all spiritual children of a Heavenly Father who loves us - every one of us.  That the Savior's atonement covers every single sin of every individual.  Every one. Sometimes I'm more successful at remembering that than others.

The corollary is this - how am I doing?  Do I convey the attitude that I judge and find others less than optimal?  I fear I do.  And more often than I should.  And therein lies the rub: how is it possible to expect others to treat me any differently than I treat them?  I shouldn't talk the talk of brotherly Christlike love for everyone then turn around the next day and snub someone (walk a different walk).

I have been unable to rid my mind of this article (link below) with all its implications.  My behavior should reflect my beliefs, my core morals, regardless of another's apparent beliefs, core morals - even appearance. Perhaps someone's "judgement" of me is wrong; then again perhaps it is merely a reflection of the hidden trials that have been shared with no one.  "When need doesn't come in the package we expect it to, it is easy to miss."  (M. Eyring.)

Blanket statements of what is wrong (in our opinion) are not helpful.  Blanket assumptions likewise unhelpful.  Directions as to how others should behave - out of line.  I can only travel through life's journey on my very own pathway.  As each of us do.  Pathways that intersect and can provide enrichment, beauty and warmth to another.  I will continue to endeavor to improve the beauty of my path's intersections to others.  It's a long, uphill road.

Must Oscar winners starve for their suppers? | Deseret News

Today's gratitude:  for sensitive, kind souls who reach out with love (and cookies) to a soul in need.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Jackie! I must admit that I feel that in our ward/neighborhood I feel that some of that same attitude. We are so busy serving inactives, non-members, those with obvious needs that good ole active show up every week members are totally ignored.

    ReplyDelete