Father's Day

I don't approach Father's Day with the same reluctance as I do Mother's Day.  Obviously.  The Husband seems to have made a decision early this morning that no matter what he was going to have a good time today.  I'm thinking that choice worked - he was in a great mood the entire day.  (I, on the other hand, am back in my funk.  Sunday has a way of doing that to me.)

Since his birthday is generally within 7 days of Father's Day he gets short shrift on one or the other occasions.  Try as I might to not let that happen, it does.

Cake before candles and partaking.
One thing I've done for years has been to provide a rose for him to wear to church.  I hope it makes him feel special.  This year....I forgot.  How could that happen?  We had plenty of lovely blooms to choose from.  I felt so small and inadequate - this most important man in my life was missing his badge.  Next year....

Before we were married he introduced me to German Chocolate Cake with Coconut Pecan Frosting.  I have made it for him every year since.  (I have succumbed to laziness and now use a box mix for the cake, but the frosting is still from scratch.)  From a conversation we had yesterday I'm fairly certain he thought I'd forgotten the cake.  But no, that is one tradition I have clung to.

I think it was a success.  We shared it with our son and his children and our daughter.  The other daughter sent her love and happy wishes.  (The other son will most likely communicate tomorrow.)  There are only a couple pieces of cake left, so it must have been ok.

There were only a few gifts - saving the money for the new computer he desires.  Didn't seem to matter.  He's been the recipient of hugs and laughter and has had his cup somewhat filled with the affection he so rightly deserves.

How to tell someone how much they are the center of your life?  I don't have sufficient or adequate words to convey that intent.  That won't stop me from trying, though.  And I shall continue to try....

No comments:

Post a Comment