The Lone Voice....

Received an email from the woman hosting book group this month with the notification of the book choice.

I'm just astonished.  I so often feel like the "lone voice in the wilderness" in my plea for decency.  This is a prime example.

The Lone Voice in the Wilderness.
The book she chose is written by a woman who made a grundle of money and fame for writing a series of books targeting the tween reader.  This is her first foray into adult fiction.  When first published I rejected the book as a possible read based on many reviews decrying the smutty nature of her writing. Nothing has happened in the intervening time to change my mind.

And here we are having this book chosen for the book group (of which I am still-kinda-sorta-maybe-not really a member).  The book chooser:  a woman who professes to be steadfast and true in the gospel of Jesus Christ and all that entails and stands for.

First thing I did was once again research the book.  Even read a couple small excerpts.  The writing hasn't changed.  It is still smutty.  The kind of thing that neither uplifts or enriches.  And truly does not add one whit to the plot.  The tipping point for me is that this kind of crap is so unnecessary.

Bottom line:  I won't be going to book group this month.  Again.  I won't bother reading stuff that disgusts me.  Nor is it worth my time discussing it with women who have waded through the filth in their  reading.  And again:  I feel like the "lone voice in the wilderness."  I must be comfortable out there by myself - I'm so often in the wilderness, alone. This editorial cartoon so aptly describes the sensation.  (And this isn't a criticism of this particular movie.  It just seemed to capture my emotion of the moment.)

And....another funeral on Saturday.  Our friend/former home teacher has gone to heaven.  A relief for him.  Sad for us.

Today's gratitude:  for lovely, wonderful books to read that the author took care to craft in such a way as to make the reading a good experience.  Clean books can and often do equal good reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment