One Of Those Days

Yeah, I get that.
It was one of those days I wished I was still a youngster who definitely believed that throwing myself on the floor, kicking my heels, yelling and crying would change things. That I would get my way.

I'm a teensy more mature now and I knew that wasn't going to work.  Still...I felt like doing it anyway.

I was bestowed with an obedient spirit.  Most of the time I'm ok with that.  I even have come to rely on that obedience, secure in knowing that's how Heavenly Father wants me to be.  Things are often easier when I don't feel the need to question everything, or "kick against the pricks".

In some reading this afternoon I came across this line:  "People who didn't play by the rules often won the games..."  It immediately crystalized in my mind: that's why I was so upset. Others often don't play by the rules - or they make up their own - or they totally disregard any rules in regard to their own behavior, but expect to be treated the same as those who do follow the rules.

To expect or demand otherwise would be to take away their agency - their God-given and endowed right to choose for themselves.  And I would never want that.  But the snarky human side of me sometimes wishes that those who don't play by the rules wouldn't seem to "win" so much of the time.

And yes, if I were to be completely objective...I'd guess there are times when I don't play by the rules either.  When I expect allowances to be made.  I hope I realize  (when I'm breaking the rules) that if I seem to "win" then the "victory" is hollow.  I truly never want to win at someone else's expense.  At the cost of hurting their hearts.  I know too well how that feels.

Today will find me remembering to be grateful for people who can put into words what I need to read / hear.  I benefit from the wisdom of others.

This morning I was at the DMV - where I was the morning before yesterday.  This time renewing the plates on one of our cars.  Relieved and grateful that the car passed inspection, that someone else had time to take it in for inspection and that we have enough money to take care of all the legal nonsense so we can have transportation.  And, that it only took 20 minutes to renew the tags. Blessings are all around.

No comments:

Post a Comment