Cost (Seriously?), Doctor and Fun

That's lots of money!
Was stunned yesterday to receive an "Explanation of Benefits" from the insurance company about the podiatrist visit I made just before our vacation.  Seriously?  That much money for a 15 minute visit? And what do people without insurance do?  (And I should note that the boot they originally quoted as (before professional discount to the insurance co.) $280 (discounted to $140) can be purchased online direct from the maker (so full suggested manufacturer's retail) for $89 / free shipping. Do they think we're too dumb to figure out how much they're making on us poor peeps?)

Free cookies!
Knowing that I had a follow-up appointment today I had to remind myself not to ask the doctor what he's doing with all that money!  But I was pleased to go in and report a 90% improvement in my foot situation.  I am now allowed to wean myself off the boot over the next week, then gradually re-introduce myself to my morning walks.  I anticipate that re-introducing with much delight! (Although I've detected a noticeable shortening of the days, but am stubborn enough to maintain my early schedule despite the lack of sun at that hour.)

Went to lunch yesterday with my dear friends (met them both in 1990 - we've been friends ever since).  Picked them up at 11:30 a.m.  Dropped them off around 4 p.m.  We like to go to places for lunch that don't mind us monopolizing a table for several hours.  The server noticed our gift bags for celebrating two of our September birthdays and brought us this cute balloon and cookies.  I'm so grateful for their friendship and the way it has enhanced my life over the years.
There's a teensy crescent moon in the middle of the picture.

I was outside last night at dusk, watching the clouds drift across the sky ahead of the rising moon.  It was beautiful.

Today I'm grateful for health insurance.  For a patient husband.  For hugs from the grandchildren - they are balm to my soul.  For healthy feet.  And for free cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment