Never Boring

Things are never boring around this house.  I might get restless, or wish there was something to do other than what I need to do, but it is never boring.  How ever did I manage to be a Mom and a wife and work at the same time?

Lots of music to learn, a bit of a challenge is ahead of me.
• Received a call this morning requesting my help.  Sure, I said.  Happy to.  She needs someone to play the piano for the Relief Society birthday celebration in March.  Could I do it?  It's just a short little play she picked up at Deseret Book.  Over she comes, bringing the music.  What fun it was to visit with her! (It sometimes seems that when I start to feel a bit invisible someone invites me to play the piano in church.  Makes me wonder what conversations occurred in heaven before I was born that led to this.)

After she left I picked up the music and dove in.  A couple hours later I was worn out.  53 pages of music.  13 songs.  My mouth is dry from counting, counting, counting.  (And I never really was taught how to count music.  Just have had to figure it out as I've gone along.)  The interesting part of all this is that the piano accompaniment doesn't have a bit of the melody in it.  The singer carries the melody all by herself - which to me says the singers have to be strong and confident.  We'll see how this goes.  It's been some time since I had a musical challenge.

Momma and 4 of 5 babies.
• The Husband has bought me lovely flowers over the years.  When I balk a little at the cost, he turns to flowering plants.  My orchids have done well in spite of my unskilled care.  One of them seemed overly happy. So, up to "Cactus and Tropicals" he went yesterday, toting this running-amok cattleya orchid.  Please, divide the plant, put the best part back into our pot and then put the rest of the plants in little plastic pots for us, he said.

Beckoned by the phone call that the dividing / re-potting was done we headed up the hill.  My jaw dropped when I saw the result.  My lovely orchid had 5 babies!  (The picture only shows 4, I already gave one away.)  Wherever am I going to put all these orchids? I'm already out of room for the ones I have.

The very best part (at least for my heart) was the complimentary remarks I received from the store's employees.  (Your orchid is beautiful! You must take really good care of it.  That is one really happy plant. Most people can't achieve results like this.  We are really impressed.) They said such nice things.  My heart was brimming with joy that someone noticed and cared that something (even a something I just bumble around and hope I'm doing right) I did was good.

I'm thinking one of my neighbors up the street might enjoy one of the babies. That leaves only three left to find good homes for.

• I had plans for the day.  I need to get started on my newest stitching project - the Christmas gift I am so looking forward to.  I've got books that are ticking on the down-hill-almost-due-at-the-library side. Especially the one I am so loving by Jeffrey Holland. (So far my favorite chapter was the one about Lot's wife.) I did manage to wash the recently complete stitchery, but that only took a minute.  I think most of my plans flew out the window and joined the chickadees and robins I heard on my morning walk.

I lost a lot of yesterday getting the new computer up and running.  Thank heavens for a resident all-knowing computer expert.  I'd be lost without him - in so many ways.

Vacuuming and a trip for hairspray will wait for tomorrow.  Tonight we're off to dinner - I'm looking forward to it.

I'm grateful today for knowledgeable plant people who are kind in the things they said to me.  What a lift to my soul that was.  I'm grateful for beautiful blooming things.  For lovely music.  For happy welcomes complete with a smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment