It's Been

A whole week since I wrote here.  I shall make an attempt to be succinct in my re-cap of the last 6 days.

Last monday morning we were up early, I took The Husband to the airport for his trip in to the office in CA.  On my way home I stopped at WalMart.  This was noteworthy because I'm thinking 7:30 a.m. might be the very best time (least shoppers) to be at WalMart.

Wish I could have gotten the sailboats.
Wednesday morning, early, I headed out to the airport for my (delayed by a bit over an hour) flight to CA to meet up with The Husband.  'Twas fabulous to be met and greeted the way I was.  After stopping by the office to do the requisite introductions (and re-acquainting) and grab some lunch we wandered to the nearby Shoreline Trail.  Our time on the trail walking, bench-sitting, conversing, holding hands: just lovely.

Thursday was my day to hang out while The Husband worked.  I walked to the nearest public library (one of my comfort places) and wandered through a local produce market on my way back.

Friday we spent driving down the Pacific Coast Highway (stunning vistas) to Carmel where we goggled at the houses and more spectacular scenery and then made our way back to Pacific Catch for dinner and ice cream.

Saturday we drove in to the City-By-The-Bay which included a visit to Pier 39, the Embarcadero for the huge Farmer's Market, and Fisherman's wharf for food.

The week concluded with an uneventful flight home and heavenly sleep in our own bed.

I have just a few observations from the last week.

This place had the best pain au chocolat I've ever had.
• I think I will remain perpetually befuddled by my inability to trigger the motion-sensitive water in sinks for hand-washing.  I generally end up sampling every sink in the restroom and still have soapy hands.

• Anyone who forgets to check their boarding pass for TSA Precheck status deserves to be embarrassed.

• I won't feel so bad about the accumulation of dust on some of my furniture.  I strive to be generally clean and tidy here in our house.  And that's pretty good.

• I've learned that if the instructions on the antibiotic say to stay out of the sun I should heed the warning.  As it was we ended up trekking through Target to find a hat to shield my face from further sun damage.  (Wow, does it ever sting!)

• We discovered a two-story Target with an escalator for shopping carts.  What a logical way to get your goods from one floor to the next.

• We've never driven down to Carmel along the coast before.  Couldn't have picked a better day for the drive, the weather was perfect.

• $10 for admittance to 17-mile drive still seems excessive.  Now that we've done that particular drive (admittedly super beautiful) we won't need to spend $10 for that again.

• The beach / ocean continues to be food for our souls.  The Husband wasn't content until he'd put his hand in the ocean.  (I wasn't getting sand in my shoes.) I'm thinking we might have to have a regular beach trip soon.

Taken through the window at 65 MPH, it was breathtaking.
• Lou's down on Fisherman's Wharf still has great food (although our service could have been better.) Next time I'm hoping to have the time and patience for the cioppino - a very favorite of mine.

• The Husband works with some mighty kind people.

• I might tease The Husband for his attention to the car windows (rental car windows are always too dirty / smeary for him) but I am always grateful to be able to see clearly all the beauty around.

• Someone needing to be around a lot of people would do well in San Fran's Chinatown on a Saturday.  Busy wouldn't even begin to describe the hoards of people out and about.  I was in the car and still got overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of people.

• Returning home to find all well, being greeted with hugs and smiles and waking up to a skiff of snow remind me how lovely it is to be here.

I'm so grateful for the chance to get away from it all every once in a while.  It's a good reminder that it feels good (and right) to be happy where we are, content with our lives and aware of the beauty that fills them.  I'm especially grateful to be home again, safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment