Micro-Manage / Forgiveness

There's a commercial running on our local tv with some sports team manager being confronted everywhere he goes with advice on how to run his team. Little kids, grandmothers and everyone in between can't wait to give him their opinion on what he should do.

I've felt like that lately.  Ever since my new (and for the third time in recent memory) calling as Ward Music Chair, I've been somewhat amazed and puzzled at the number of people who have approached me with advice, concern and requests for me to implement.  I've had more people chat me up in the last month than in the last year!  They all want me to do things their way.

Well-intentioned as they are (and I really believe they're well-intentioned) I feel somewhat micro-managed.  I didn't just fall off the turnip truck.  I didn't just spring into being.  I have 60+ years of life experience and a modicum of common sense.  But whatever.

Today's mail included a letter from a ward member.  With further instructions on what my calling includes, implying my need to do as he says.

And here comes the forgiveness part.  It's often easy to forgive others for trifling little things. Sometimes it can be a teensy bit more difficult.  Sometimes they don't ask forgiveness (indeed, might not even know - or care - they've done something (deliberate or not) requiring forgiveness). In those instances, forgiveness isn't for them, it's for me.  So I can forget and move forward,  concentrate on my own progress.

An Institute teacher I had was fond of saying that if we weren't on our knees every single night pleading for forgiveness from our Heavenly Father for our (and no one else's) transgressions of the day, well, we were missing the boat.  The thing is:  if we are sincere, that forgiveness from Heavenly Father will always be ours.

Why then, can it be so challenging to forgive others?  I struggle with this.  Not always, but enough that it weighs on my mind.

I could respond to the letter I received today. (I actually expect to be confronted by the sender and forced to at least verbally respond.) The right thing to do is toss the letter (and my attached emotions).  And forgive the sender.  For me.

And continue to repent and count on that ready easy forgiveness from Heavenly Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment