Mid-Week

I've been in a bit of a funk all week.  It must be contagious.  The Husband got up this morning and said he was going for my walk with me.  Really?  5 miles?

He's generally a pretty happy camper.  One of those people who doesn't wake up and then decide what mood he's going to be in, instead he wakes up happy.  Instantly happy.  He doesn't very often get down.  This morning he was.  I know he gets tired of the pressure to perform at work (he's up against much younger/more agile minds), of the burden of activities he's involved in (church callings, UCARE) and now that it's spring there's the yard work to contend with.  Sprinkler systems to get working (this will finally be the year to replace the sprinkler system controller I think.  It's pitched one too many fits!) lawn to mow, fertilizer to purchase and spread.  I imagine it just seems endless to him.

(And currently, besides the unreliable sprinkler system controller, our icemaker in the fridge is on the fritz! Loathe as we are to spend money on stuff like that, he'll do his handy-man magic and try to fix it.  Yet more demands on his time.)

Thus, today was a sick (Mental Health?) day.  He went with me on my walk, then spur of the moment we headed over to a new place for breakfast.  (After all the positive recommendations I expected a bit more.  I like pancakes well enough, just without the onion flavor -must have been from the grill, The Husband's didn't taste the same.

Then he decided to take a post-breakfast nap.  I haven't the heart to disturb him.  I just hope he'll be able to sleep tonight.  He doesn't usually take a several hours nap.

This was the calendar picture when I turned to April.  I love this reminder.  It's really another version of one of The Husband's sayings:  Enjoy the journey.

Yesterday morning I was stopping every chance I got to bury my nose in the (way-too-early) blooming lilacs.  They're a favorite of mine.  I also snapped this picture of one of the trail accesses. My soul responds to a tree-lined (especially blooming trees) path.  This particular one is a double dose of soul-enriching:  blooming trees and lilacs!  I've been known to take a lengthy detour sniffing the fragrant blooms.

I'm grateful today for the beauties of the earth that can lift my dejected heart.  For a husband who is always so willing to work so hard for us.  For naps. For ice makers and sprinkler systems - what a total luxury! For sweet smelling lilacs. For pictures to remind us of good things when our eyes can no longer see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment