Storm

The big to-do the last 24 hours has been our weather.  It all started with the wind.  Strong wind.  Parts of our valley registered winds in excess of 80 MPH.  (The paper even said one place was over 90 MPH.)  I was reminded of my childhood and the dust storms we frequently had.  There were times yesterday when the houses behind us were barely visible with all the dust in the air.  And it was windy (and dusty) all day long!

There were multiple accidents because of the low visibility.  Roofs torn off houses.  Trees downed. The trails and sidewalks this morning were strewn with broken limbs and branches.  I managed to time my morning walk between the wind /rain and the snow; the only time today when it was actually possible to get out and enjoy myself.

Then the rain came.  Mixing with the dust on the way down.  It's really strange when it rains mud. Which it did.  Then it got cold.  29 degrees this morning about 8:30. And now it's snowing. Really. Since about nine this morning we've accumulated several inches on the grass.

I'm wondering how my peonies will fare.

Clean
We were among the lucky ones whose power stayed on.  There are still a couple thousand power customers without power.  And I'm thinking it's time to turn on the heat.  My wool sweater isn't quite enough.

Hmmm???
Two days ago this little catch-basin over by the high school looked like this:  clear water, ducks paddling around.  Today it was more mud than water,  and contained this couch.  I'll never know if it was the wind or some kids' hi-jinks, but there it is.  A couch.  In the catch basin.  Truly something I've never seen before. (The opaque surface makes a great reflector for the mountains!)
Snow at 9 a.m.

I'm loving the quiet that descends along with the snow.  I tend to thrive more without a lot of bustle and commotion.

Today I'm so grateful for safety from the winds and a home without interruption of power.  For wool sweaters and snuggly socks.  For those who text me.  For the much needed moisture.  For something to look forward to in the next few days.

How blessed we are to live in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment