A Mixed Bag Weekend

What luxury!
• A trip to Home Depot yielded a new shower head for me.  What a luxury: a just-the-right-height-for-(slightly)height-challenged-me shower head. Who knew I'd enjoy such a small change in such a large way?

• Received a text from our son.  Their car died.  Completely.  One week into a new job, baby due in October, trying to find a better apartment.  And now no car.

The Husband announced this need in Priesthood meeting.  I was skeptical.  Who has spare cars just sitting around that they could loan to someone in need while a car is found to purchase?  Well, it just so happens, someone did.  A young newly married couple offered their old car as a loaner.  We drove it down - our son and daughter-in-law have some temporary transportation.  I think they're grateful.  I know we are.

I consider this one of those tender mercies.  A blessing tailored for a specific need at a specific time.

(And on a side note, I loved this bit I read today:  "Just because God is smiling on someone else doesn't mean He is frowning on you.")

• I know I've mentioned the being Ward Music Chair this time around is a tad more challenging than in the past. My self-esteem has taken multiple hits, uninvited instructions (for my obeying) abound and my hopes / expectations are often dashed. :^)  (I will persevere and do my best regardless.)

A brother in our ward requested The Husband tell me how important yesterday's Sacrament meeting closing hymn (that he knew I chose) was to him. Serendipitously just that morning he'd been remembering some words from this hymn that helped him through a years-ago-tough-time.  A few hours later we sang that very hymn.  His heart was warmed at the reminder of our Heavenly Father's love for him, so much so that he could hardly speak.  Another seemingly-small-though-large in-impact tender mercy.

• Walked into the chapel yesterday with just a slight hitch in my enthusiasm only to be stopped short by my 7-year-old friend.  She wanted to tell me all about her first week at school and how she already has earned enough "cash" to spend at her classroom's store for fun items.  I told her thanks for the hug, I'd really needed it.  Her quick comeback:  and you got two hugs!  A delightful memory.

Today I'm grateful for someone who expresses thanks - even for something as small as a hymn choice.  I'm grateful that my car requires oil changes only annually.  The traffic / road construction was especially daunting today.  I'm grateful for an uplifting magazine to read while I waited on my car. I'm grateful for a new shower head.  And I'm especially grateful for generous people who don't think twice about loaning an old car.  There is much goodness around us.

Which reminds me of this quote:

“You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late.”― Ralph Waldo Emerson

I try to remember to be kind often enough that eventually kindness will just be part of who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment