Nightmare

I still vividly remember the first nightmares I ever had.  I've always blamed the mincemeat pie for that first episode.  My poor Dad was in my room every few minutes the entire night.  I easily remember the mental drama/images that caused me to scream out in terror - still frightens me.

I don't have nightmares often, but sometimes I do.  Last night was one of those.  I was 5 years old again:  scared.  Fear and screams were invading my mind...until I felt a warm hand lightly rubbing my arm.  I tried to tell The Husband how comforting that was to me, but words failed. Those unaccustomed to nightmares have difficulty understanding how unnerving they are.  How grateful I am to have surfaced from the one last night and have it totally disappear, leaving me to sleep peacefully the rest of the night.
And this is the smallest size!

I'm thinking the culprit of last night's disturbed sleep was this hawaiian shaved ice.  I've learned that too much sugar too close to sleeping isn't good for me.  (One of the negatives of aging, I guess.) The late evening sugar treat had some consequences.  I'll make sure to indulge earlier in the day next time.

Today I'm grateful for kind souls who don't mind when I disturb their sleep.  I'm grateful for improvement in my silly foot - umm, feet. (It's been five weeks today and I'm gradually adding a bit of time each day without the boot to re-strengthen those ankle muscles.) I'm grateful for the teensy bit of patience I've learned. I'm grateful for loved ones who keep in touch, who make me feel like I count in their lives.  And I'm grateful for good dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment