A New Chapter Begins

• So our ward is all different now. They took parts of 2 different wards to create a whole new one.  And wow, is that ever a process, to start fresh.

Our new Bishop will be just fine, he's really a nice guy who genuinely cares not only (and deeply) for the gospel and doing what our Heavenly Father wants, but he also genuinely cares for people.  One of those guys (much like The Husband) who wakes up with a smile already on his face, anxious and happy to jump into whatever the day brings.

Today was our first real Sacrament meeting with just the new ward.  Most of the organizations had Presidencies sustained.  It takes some time to get things all organized and ready to go. But I can truthfully say that it begins to feel almost like it should.  We know few of the members, but enough are familiar from our previous ward that we don't feel totally adrift and friendless.  It doesn't hurt that it's Christmas and I'm involved enough in the music to feel like I can make at least a small contribution.

Ice cream & brownie lunch
• The Husband's flight on Thursday night was delayed by two hours, he arrived home Friday around 3:15 a.m.  And took Friday off work.  We ran down to BYU for a Norman Rockwell exhibit which we thoroughly enjoyed.  Visited with our son and daughter-in-law where The Husband got to cuddle the newest grandson.  (I was keeping my distance - fighting a cold.)  The most notable thing about that afternoon was our lunch, we ate like a couple of teenagers: BYU Creamery ice cream and BYU mint brownies. It was totally sinful (but our mouths thought they were in heaven).

Viola growing in the rock/ on the right
• Went to dinner that night with a couple friends.  We so love their company.

• Taking advantage of the mild/clear weather we spent Saturday morning cleaning up the leaves in the yard.  My first area was outside our stairwell windows.  It's a challenge to clean up that little area we affectionately call the amphitheater.  It's a natural collection point for anything that blows in the yard.  This picture is of a rock.  Who'd have thought a rock could support a plant? That's a teensy tiny viola growing in that crevice.

Tonight's sunset - The Husband took this one.
I grew a bit philosophical as I was cleaning around that rock. Life often seems barren of joy, opportunities and places to nurture our souls.  But if I keep my eye on Heaven and do my best, there'll be enough nourishment that I can grow and flourish.  Even in a totally new ward.

•It's been a really odd weekend for us, though overall, I guess it's been good.  I'm grateful for The Husband's safe return.  For hearing a giggle from someone I love. I'm grateful for a sweet little neighbor girl (she's not quite two) who reached out and took my hand (with a smile) when I said hi to her at church.  As long as the innocent little ones are so readily accepting of me, I must not be too far from the right path.  And I'll ever be grateful for the beauty of this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment