It's Been Almost Exactly A Year

Since I had the absolute worst sinus infection I've ever had.  There aren't many small parts to my body.  But apparently my sinus cavity is small.  It requires constant monitoring.

It started with an upset tummy.  Symptoms then expanded to include that awful headache that felt like vise trying to crush my head.  And it just kept getting more painful.

Since it was the President's Day Holiday (and the consequent non-opening of the doctor's offices) we ended up at the emergency room (figuring quite wrongly that our out-of-state-limiting-us-which-medical-offices-they-cover-insurance company wouldn't cover an Insta-Care visit) where they pretty much treat everything like life/death or in actuality a real emergency.

Which meant they threw some really strong antibiotics at the infection.  Which I ran a reaction to. Resulting in an Insta-Care visit which finally got me well taken care of and I mended, in time.

This time around, I'm determined to avoid a full-on infection.  It started with dizziness.  (I quickly learned to move my head much more s-l-o-w-l-y.)  Then the upset tummy and the fullness in my ears, earaches and headache.

I jumped right on that with nasal spray, Claritin D and lots of sleeping.  Because...we're heading into the President's Day holiday weekend again.  Doctor's offices (if I could manage to get an appointment) are not open.  I am not spending $1,000 just to walk in the door of the emergency room.

The results of my ministrations are mixed at best.  Dizziness comes and goes as does the nausea. I can sleep for an hour at the drop of a hat (most unusual for me).  But the good news? It hasn't thus far, continued to progress.  Claritin D is expensive, but cheaper than the doctor.  And if I can manage to completely fend off a full-blown infection without antibiotics, so much the better.  Wish me well.

I was offered this little book to read.  I have the framed poster "The Rights Of The Reader" on a shelf in my room - which poster I've loved since I first saw it.  The book did not disappoint.  How delightful to find an articulate person who loves to read as much as I do.  What a gift it has been in my life.  I have learned, been uplifted, shared deep sorrows, found great joy and thoroughly thrived in an atmosphere of words.

How grateful I am to have learned to read, and learned to love to read.  My life has been enriched.

The dreaded valley inversion has settled into our area - it is deep and feels so unremitting.  The air is so awful it even tastes bad if you happen to open your mouth for a lungful.  It isn't pleasant or wise to be walking in it so I'm inside on my treadmill, with my iPad and my book and tv and the 60-80 minutes passes in a flash.  I am so grateful for the luxury of my treadmill.

No comments:

Post a Comment