A Few Quiet Minutes On Sunday

I don't know how it happens but our Sundays are pretty full.  The Husband is off at another meeting - I know he'll be so glad to get in his comfy clothes when he returns.  The good news?  It's our ward's week to feed the sister missionaries this week and there were enough people to sign up that we don't have to do it this time.  (One of the sisters is vegetarian which complicates things a teensy bit.  I wouldn't know how to make a vegetarian meal, it'd have to be out at a restaurant somewhere that she could order what she likes and it wouldn't be a big deal.)

Friday morning found me out on the trail - returning books to the library as my excuse for the long route I walk.  The sunrise was just stunning.  It's odd to not be able to feed the horses, they still come trotting over to the fence when they hear me talk.  I don't know what that green bag had in it or why it was hung from the fencepost but I thought it odd enough to capture the image.  And the snake?  Right at our front walk.  I came in, told The Husband about it and headed out to look at it again and it was gone.  I was glad that I wore my sandals, even though it was little it was fierce and tried to take a bite out of me.


Today was our Primary Program.  They always turn out way better than we expect given the behind-the-scenes knowledge we have of how the practices go.  Our primary is under 50 children so it was a quick program, The Bishop had a bit of time to fill in at the end.  But it was a nice meeting.  The children did sign language to one of the songs, the second verse was one I hadn't ever seen "signed" and it was lovely.  I noticed a couple signs that resonated with me.  And my favorite part?  There's a new-ish family in the ward.  With a sister and her Downs Syndrome brother.  They lined up to do their speaking parts - the brother standing just behind his sister.  And like it was the most natural thing in the world to do, he just laid his head on her shoulder and rested for a few seconds.  Sweet, sweet thing to witness. And yeah, you probably had to be there to really understand, but it touched my heart.

Our youngest daughter is in the dreaded boot!  Just like the one I had.  She has some issues with her foot, and is trying to avoid or even delay surgery to fix her bone spur and Haglund's deformity.  She'll be on sick leave this week.  And has my complete empathy.  Our feet really do need to be happy.

We're off tomorrow to wish our youngest grandson happy 1st birthday.  He's a sweetheart and I'm so glad that he's part of our extended family.  I'm grateful that his mother seems interested in having a relationship with us.

And I've noticed something.  It's become somewhat of a tradition for me to end my daily postings with expressions of gratitude for a thing or two.  Lately I haven't been posting daily, I just have been running out of steam for this blog.  And it seems like I have to look a bit harder to find something to express gratitude for.  I guess like everything else, you get better with practice and worse with neglect.  I don't want to neglect my gratitude observations, it helps me stay grounded and less concerned with pleasing myself.  I'm not quite sure how to fix this, maybe time will tell.

For today, though, I'm grateful for R. S. lessons that cause me to think, that help me know other sisters a bit better and to decide I am lacking in areas that need attention.  I'm grateful for a husband who isn't afraid of work no matter the arena - church, career, family - he does it all without complaint and with an energy that I'm sure he doesn't always feel.  I'm grateful for birthdays to celebrate and for friends who loan me books to read.  For hugs from those who are on the phone but take the time to share their care anyway.  And for prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment