Tuesday and I'm Pedaling As Fast As I Can

This morning's view to the east.
How are we so busy at this time of our lives?

• I'm so enjoying the new window in the bathroom.  The replacement was installed last Friday and it's nice to be able to see clearly the view unobstructed by the condensation between the panes of glass.  Yes, it's a blessing to be able to take care of our surroundings.

• So Saturday, 5:00 pm, I received a call from a sister in the ward.  She had been asked to sing (with her sister) in R. S. the next day.  At the last minute, the song had been changed and her previously invited accompanist had begged off, she needed more time to practice.  Would I consider playing for her?  She has two versions of the accompaniment, one harder than the other.  Sure, I said, I'll give it a shot.  It's been a number of years since I played "O Holy Night" but I think I can manage.  After picking up the music and choosing the version to play I spent a half hour or so practicing on my own before heading over to her home for a rehearsal.

And the view to the west--clear across the valley..
And came home discouraged.  This woman has always intimidated me.  I have a very small fraction of the music training that she's had.  I overshadow her in experience, but that's only by virtue of my age. But the thing I do have is a willing heart.

So I spent an hour or so practicing that evening and then as much time as I could manage Sunday morning before church.

How did it go? Well...ok.  I made a few mistakes, but tried to not stumble with them. The tricky parts that had been a concern were better than expected.  Whenever I play in public I always always pray for angels to guide my fingers to the right keys so as to help me do my best.  I always want to bring the Spirit.

I must have passed the "audition" well enough.  This sister is singing the same song (solo) in Sacrament meeting on Christmas morning.  She asked if I'd play for her then.  So apparently my efforts made her comfortable enough to invite me back.  That's a good thing.  I'll work on not being so intimidated in the meantime.

Now I'm off to the grocery for some supplies.  I've got a full day with laundry and lesson planning and interrupted vacuuming to complete.

And in the midst of that I'm practicing my gratitude.  For sufficient funds for food and shelter and Christmas.  And for a husband who happily works hard to provide those things.  For lunches out with good friends.  For knowledge of Heavenly Father's plan and the companionship of the Holy Ghost to guide my words and actions.  I hope to always listen to those promptings.  I'm grateful to be able to look forward to an evening out with some friends in the next week or so.  And for hope.  Always for hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment