Another Monday / No Pictures

• So, The Husband arrived home safely Friday just in time to take me to dinner. I was ready to fix something, figuring that he'd be tired of eating out, but he's unselfish that way. Right now I can't even remember where we ate, only that I didn't have to cook which was delightful.

• Saturday was uneventful - just mostly hanging out together and feeling whole again.  Cleaned some clothes out of his closet and ran them over to the thrift store.  Went for a walk.  It was lovely.

• Sunday was kinda different for us.  I'm still getting used to our church block being two hours later. We walked over to church, even though it was a teensy nippy out.  I was lucky enough to play the piano for primary.  There's a little guy (I think he's about 5 years) in there that was a bit out of control yesterday, his teachers are only newlyweds and not very experienced with special needs children.  So, he was running around, getting his teacher to chase him (the 2 foot high kid and the 6+ foot high lanky teacher).  The teacher was trying mightily to not make a scene.  Anyhow, all of a sudden one of the primary girls, I think she's about 7 or so, just got up out of her chair, walked over to him with her arm outstretched, she was ever so calm - and the little guy must know her, he curled right up in her arm and let her lead him to the teacher.   I was so grateful to witness such spontaneous care and service - not only of the little guy but the teacher, too.  She'll be one of those who serve with great love.  I was so impressed.

• Then we were told church was ending 15 minutes early, we were all going to walk over to a member's house and sing a hymn or two.  This brother recently underwent his second liver transplant. It's been an interesting event - they didn't know the first liver had a fungal infection and the transplant failed. Then they had to wait for another liver - apparently the second transplant is a bit more challenging and it hasn't been without complications.  So this brother came to Sacrament meeting - he's definitely frail (after the first transplant he looked so great so fast, this has been different all the way around) and then went home.   Frankly, I wasn't all that excited to walk over en masse and sing. And boy, did I ever get one of those invisible slaps up the side of my head.

He came to the porch and spoke for just a minute, he was pretty emotional. Yes, this was a tonic for him, he really needed it.  They've been through a lot, but have been quite open about all the blessings that have come their way through the difficulties. It was a really nice thing for the ward to do.  I should be more open to things like this. And I hope the ward continues to think of ways to brighten the lives of our members - there are a few other really hard challenges going on.

• The Husband was supposed to take 4 paid days off work in December.  Because of the rigorous schedule imposed by the managers (I deleted several other terms in favor of trying to be kind) his team wasn't able to take them.  We figured they'd just be lost. Surprise! They didn't just disappear, but The Husband's grandboss wanted him to take those 4 days as soon as possible.  So, this is the week. He's taking one day of vacation, the 4 paid days and then next Monday is a regular paid holiday, so he'll be off work for 10 straight days.  Very very unusual for him.  And he's so funny.  After running his car over for some service and starting the "vacation" properly with breakfast out, he's taken care of a few things on his list.  And between times, he'll come and sit or stand near me and say, "What are we doing now?" He's so out of his element being at home and not working.

I told him this morning I thought this week would be a good indicator of how he's going to handle retirement.  Or if he'll decide to keep working somehow.  He's had a nap, washed some windows, worked on the gas fireplace and is now watching some pre-recorded tv.  We'll see how the week goes.

So today I'm grateful.  I'm grateful that other people are kind and thoughtful.  I need to learn that behavior better so it comes more naturally to me.  I'm so grateful The Husband made it home safe (I confess, last week was rough for me).  I'm grateful for beautiful weather.  For the ability to keep our cars in working order. For some vacation days and breakfasts out.

No comments:

Post a Comment