Valentine

My cute valentine!
Even as a kid I disliked injustice.  I've always liked things to tilt more toward the "fair" side of things. That imbalance of life was always pretty obvious at Valentine's day.  There were the popular kids who took home tons and tons of valentines.  And those less popular who had very few.  I always felt so bad for those who only got a few.  (Of course, this was long before the days of political correctness and inclusiveness. I was always somewhere in the middle, my box had a medium amount of cards from classmates.)

And you know, I've never really been fond of Valentine's Day to start with.  Obligatory displays of affection don't impress me.  The Husband and I haven't ever made a big deal about it.

And yet, being somewhat contradictory in nature, I've always harbored a secret desire for a valentine.(I guess I want to feel like someone notices me.) A few years ago, one of our YSA's showed up on our doorstep with a chocolate cake for me on the V-Day.  I was stunned.

This year, I received some valentines!  I received a couple verbal wishes first thing in the morning.  A late night text from a granddaughter.  And The Husband gave me a card!  It was delightful - people noticed and extended love.  I so wish that to be the case for every single person. Every one deserves some love, enough so they can thrive.

I've been mentally fussing - a young man (15 years old) from our ward is missing.  Has been for several weeks.  My heart just aches for him and his parents.  I know those teen years are hard for everyone. If I were to see him again I'd give him a hug (wanted or not) and tell him I care. I know his parents love him.  I know the kind of hurt that makes you want to just go away. I'd like to be able to fix things for them all.

Today I'm grateful for thoughtful valentine's wishes - ones that lift my heart.  I'm grateful for morning walks in the sunrise with air that's fresh and clear.  For evening walks with my favorite-est  friend who is so tolerant of all my foibles.  And for prayer that provides hope for Heavenly help for hurting souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment