Missing / Thrown Away

Today I went to the grocery.  Checking out, the cashier asked me the requisite questions:

Did you find everything you need?    Yes.

Do you have your Foodie Card?      Yes

Would you like drive-and-load?      No, thank you

Do you need stamps or ice?      No, thanks, I'm good there.

Would you care to donate to MS today?   Not, today, thanks.

Then I said, After all those no answers, I'm not very helpful today, am I?  Her reply was very thought provoking:  Hey, she said, you're nice to me and that's all I care about.

I didn't know what to say to that.  And I was reminded of the program from church in Nevada where we attended on Sunday.  I have torn the usual places apart looking for the program so I could share the front of it.  I fear my "get-rid-of-stuff" attitude has gotten the better of me and I threw it away.  In fact, I'm certain I can see it in my mind at the bottom of the kitchen trash container which has been emptied more than once since we got home (even the garbage bins were picked up and emptied by the garbage truck this morning) so I know it's long gone.

The front of that program contained a paragraph about kindness.  If I remember right it was by Joseph Wirthlin, perhaps this one.

Kindness is the essence of greatness and the fundamental characteristic of the noblest men and women I have known. Kindness is a passport that opens doors and fashions friends. It softens hearts and molds relationships that can last lifetimes.
Kind words not only lift our spirits in the moment they are given, but they can linger with us over the years.
Kindness is the essence of a celestial life. Kindness is how a Christlike person treats others. Kindness should permeate all of our words and actions at work, at school, at church, and especially in our homes.
May we be models of kindness. May we ever live up to the words of the Savior: “By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."


Yummy gift, thank you!
It makes me sad that I contribute to the unkindness of the world, that I'm not as nice as I could be. And as I should be.

So, today, I'm grateful for that dear woman ringing up my groceries at the store for the lesson she taught me.  For the reminder that I have lots of repenting to do.  I'm grateful for the gift of a luscious chocolate bar. For a new project to start. For a couple things to look forward to this coming weekend. And I'm grateful for the hope that I can overcome all those troubling faults of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment