Mother's Day

Yeah, it's often been a tough day for me.  Today, not quite so much.  I was determined to be upbeat and not complain.  I mostly succeeded.

1st grade level craft for H. T. sisters.
Sacrament meeting was ok, I guess. Relief Society was much better.  The Bishop came and spoke to us about how valued women are, and the presidency had made some fun cups full of fruit sorbet.  The Bishop finished in plenty of time for us to sit and eat our sorbet and chat and it was a lovely no-pressure few minutes.  I chatted with several women - and it's really true:  women need other women. Whether it's a deep friendship or a more casual connection, we women need other women.

Came home from church to an email from a friend - I love that she and I have this back-and-forth. We don't see each other as much as we'd like since the ward was split, but I'm comfortable sharing my anxieties and (whatever small) victories with her.  I'd like to think she feels the same, and I think this is good for the both of us.

And I wanted to share this article I read this morning.  Life Isn't Fair  I love the encouragement I found here.

The Husband is, well it's hard to describe how he makes my heart beat. He's ever anxious to see that I feel special, no matter the day. He's been asking for some time what I'd like for this day.  I try really hard to be content, and frankly I mostly succeed.  There isn't a lot I want, and often when I see something I think I'd like, after I think some more I pretty much talk myself out of it.  But I finally told him that what I'd really like is some new summer tops to wear.  It's been several years since I've bought anything like that.

So yesterday morning at breakfast, he gave me a card with some cash.  And the best part of it all is, he took me shopping.  We spent a couple hours looking, he even drove to a more distant mall (and we braved the masses of tattooed barely clothed young people, feeling older by the minute because we simply don't "get" that mindset) and actually found several things. Being with him, getting his opinion, dodging people in the mall (with my hand in his) was really the best gift.  After all these years, his company is still the company I crave the most.

We worked together to create a (first grade level craft) for the sisters he home teaches.  They seemed to be appreciative of our efforts.

Today I'm grateful for thoughtful gifts (a lovely sweet necklace, a couple sheet pans (my previous ones are almost too gross/worn out to use) and texts), for the gift of time-spent-together.  I'm grateful for progress on the veggie garden watering system (I really don't care how many trips to the sprinkler supply place it requires).  I'm grateful for former YSA students that come find us after church for some hugs and conversation (they'll always have special spots in our hearts).

No comments:

Post a Comment