Beautiful!!

Fall is in full force here in Draper and it is beautiful.  Just stunning.  The days are in the 60's.  The nights in the 30's and 40's.  I love when I'm driving down the street and the trees are snowing leaves. Really, how could anyone complain about this beauty?
The other night we took a quick walk and I tried my best to capture the variety of colors along the back of our neighbor's yard.  I think you might have to actually physically stand in front of them to get the full effect.  Yeah, mighty wonderful.

Those colder nights mean the spiders are looking for warmth.  This daddy-long-legs caught attention because of it's leg-spread, usually they're more tucked in than that.  And yes, he was big.  And yes, I was very cautious how close I'd put my hand. And hesitant and nervous. 
I try pretty hard to just keep my head down, do my own thing (at least in the way I think Heavenly Father wants me to do it) and mind my own business.  I'm still surprised at those who think I need to march to their drummer.  And am grateful for those who let me make my own mistakes. Even at 66 years of age, I still don't care to be told what to do. I suppose I should feel good that someone is paying attention to me.  Doesn't quite feel right that their only attention is to boss me around.  (But then, maybe there's that Karma thing?)

Had a visitor this morning.  She mentioned an item in our little curio cabinet and asked me about it. After I told her, I mentioned that I don't like to keep lots of stuff but that pretty much everything in that cupboard was given to me by someone I care about. I pointed out a few of those items and who gave them to me.  Her response was heart-warming and sobering at the same time.  She said:  look how much you're loved. Truly, I hadn't ever thought about those little trinkets that way. (I try to not care so much about "stuff".)  But once she said that I was stopped in my mental tracks.  Really.  Kinda balances out all those who like to direct my every decision.  I should never, never, never complain.

And I finally did it. I replaced the Prius. I had pretty much decided what I wanted.  The Husband pretty much left it all up to me. And I pretty much was tired of waiting/fussing about it.  I drove the car home from the dealer, took our daughter and grandson for a quick spin around the block, backed the car in the garage and left it there.  For a whole day.  I was, quite frankly, afraid to drive anywhere.  I kept mulling things over in my head and thinking mostly about all the reasons why I shouldn't have done it. 
Until today, when I absolutely had to run a few errands.  I wasn't on the road but a few minutes and realized I was totally enjoying driving.  It's been a long time since I really enjoyed driving around.  The Prius was a fine car - trouble free in all the years we owned it. But staid - a bit boring.  The new car lets me sit higher, the visibility is great, it's got all kinds of gadgets and doodads making things nice and yes, it's more fun to drive.  I imagine this might be the last car I'll get. I'm totally planning to enjoy it!

So today I've lots to be grateful for.  I'm beyond grateful for a husband who has never failed to take great care of me. He has always made me feel cherished.  What a huge blessing that is.  I'm grateful for the beauty of the seasons that at times can leave me almost breathless in admiration. I'm grateful for friends who visit who look at things in such a positive way that I am enriched by their words and association. I'm grateful for 30% off everything mailer (even sale items) from Kohl's (I don't very often get 30% off, but it seems to come around at just the right time). I'm grateful for a new doughnut shop (only tried the doughnut and the chocolate croissant - the doughnut was really yummy!) that's a bit far away to patronize too often, but close enough when the doughnut need strikes. I'm grateful for insurance of all kinds - car, health, vision (my new glasses would have been unaffordable without that insurance!).  And I'm grateful for life and hope.  I try to never take any of the goodness in life for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment