Civility

I make this woman crazy.  This section of the trail I walk runs along a creek.  I love to walk close to the lefthand edge so I can see the ducks and muskrats and plants.  It's a never-the-same view that I enjoy as I start my day.

And yes, it is customary to walk on the right.  But...there's no reason I can't walk on the left if I choose.  No law, no rule.  Mostly when I'm on this section of trail, it's before 7 a.m. and there aren't too many people on it.  Further reinforcing the thought that it doesn't matter if I'm on the left, right or middle part of the trail.  Frankly, I don't think it's anyone's business.

This woman has made it her business.  She's yelled at me multiple times and ordered me to walk on the right.  I generally avoid talking to people on the trail (unless they're friends) for lots of reasons. Safe to say I don't talk to people first, I'm usually head and eyes down or looking around, not at people.

I figured I'd see her this morning, the timing was right.

Now, remember, I've done nothing but walk on the left hand side of the trail as is my right to choose.

And yet, I'm grateful today that I generally avoid confrontation.  I so dislike it.  It's really odd to me that some people seem to seek it out, to make sure people "toe their line".  I'll probably avoid that part of the trail at that time, which is sad that I can't do what I like.  Or maybe I'll get someone to walk with me next time?

No comments:

Post a Comment