Stainless Steel? 😳

Spur of the moment, we ran over to RC Willey after dinner the other night.  Just looking, I said.  Want to see what's out there and how much we can afford. 

Told the sales guy that I wanted a white refrigerator and he just chuckled.  No one really makes those anymore he said, but looked anyway on his computer to see what they had.  Took us over to one (floor model in stainless steel not white, of course) and we liked it just fine.  Looked at a few others but not interested in lots of bells and whistles, just need a good refrigerator.  We wrestled with white or stainless steel.  That particular finish on appliances just feels so "industrial" to me, not warm and cozy like a house should feel.  But clearly I'm in the minority.  I just dislike being forced to follow trends if that's not really what I want.

The sales guy said he is pretty sure the stainless steel approach isn't a trend, it's here to stay. Sigh.  Finally decided to go with stainless steel.  Is this one smudge proof?  Nope, that's the next level up. Another couple hundred dollars.

The only good part was they had them in stock in the warehouse and could be delivered Thursday - that's today! Our old fridge was new when we built the house 22+ years ago.  And I think it was just tired and worn out, too much trouble to keep things cold anymore.

Fortunately it's been a colder day outside - 43 degrees (the upper limit temps for things needing to keep cold) so all our fridge belongings are outside, in bins, on the patio table.  I kept the furnace off on purpose for a while, but now we're toasty warm.  The new fridge is in its place, all hooked up and everything.  3 gallons of water have been run through the water dispenser and the temp inside the fridge is coming down.  So far, so good.  And the side-by-side fridge/freezer that I've so disliked for so long is gone. 

As much as I hate spending money (and we've had to get some from our retirement funds) I admit I'm excited to have something new.  That's kind of a rarity for us.  I hope this fridge will be a decent one.

Update:  The shades came on Tuesday.  I think the installer was here for roughly 40 minutes.  Easy - peasy installation.  Interestingly enough, the sport court (bright)  and patio (they're the ones that aim at our house) lights were on that night so we had cause to try them out.  Sweet relief!! The fit is pretty snug so light incursion into our house is so minimal I eventually had to get up and open the small one up just a smidge so I'd have some ambient light when I got up in the middle of the night.  (Doesn't everyone have to get up once at night?) 

So two problems.  Two solutions.  So grateful!

I'm learning as I age that I get overwhelmed easier when I'm getting too much input at once.  Today was a bit of a challenge for me.  Between the usual chores and getting the fridge stuff ready (so grateful I had just enough plastic bins in the basement) then finishing up the cleaning.  But things are calmer now and I'm feeling a bit more chipper.  It's been raining out most of the day so we had some floor cleaning up to do when the delivery guys/installers left.  

Heard someone on Sunday talk about praying to notice God's blessings in her life, even the small ones.  I think I'm guilty of feeling overlooked by heaven a lot of the time.  I need to be more aware.  It was truly a blessing to go find a fridge that could be delivered quickly and was something we could manage financially.  (There was one on display that was upwards of $20,000-I can hardly fathom having that kind of money to spend like that.)  It's been a blessing that things have been so chilly outside today that I'm hopeful we won't have to spend some money replacing all that food.  We didn't intend to be buying a new fridge quite so soon, otherwise I might have let our food supply dwindle a bit more.  Though we don't usually have a ton of food around these days.  It's a blessing to have the new shades that will allow me to sleep in spite of inconsiderate behavior around me. 

And I'm grateful today for the rain.  The air feels fresh and clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment