We Are Constantly Saying....

 ...how strange/weird/different/uncomfortable life is lately.  I still want to blame everything on COVID.  Though I know that's not really the case.  The world has just changed so much. 

I'll never wrap my head around the thought processes that think it's ok to steal.  To steal anything:  money from someone else's accounts (or credit card theft), packages off of front porches, items from stores, things out of cars, even cars themselves.  I just don't get it. 

Civility has taken a back seat to rudeness and selfishness.  

And - but you know what?  I think I'll stop listing things right there.  I don't want this to turn into a gripe/complaint session.  I've just noticed that The Husband and I are aware more and more that we feel disenchanted with things going on around us.  How we don't feel like we fit anywhere (too told, too poor, too conservative, too independent in our thinking).  

Yummy fresh apples.
The new fridge (stainless steel notwithstanding) is growing on me.  We're still unlearning the fridge habits of the past 22+ years (and even the ten years before since we've had side-by-side fridges for that long).  It has affected our morning breakfast dance-routine while we each get our own meal.  But we're getting there, and I like the fridge.

I'm still working on noticing all the ways I feel the Hand of God in my daily life.  It's very interesting how that can improve my mental perspective.  Just when I'm feeling down or envious (I really, really dislike that particular feeling, it's so destructive) I begin to notice the "smaller" things that really provide a sense of happiness to my heart.

The other night, settled in the rocker (in my robe) with a book, the doorbell rang.  Our down-the-street-around-two-corners neighbor was there with a disposable roasting pan filled with freshly picked apples from their small orchard.  I don't know what kind any of them are.  We've eaten several - some are tarter than others.  All have been extra delicious because of the kind generosity of the giver.

This morning my vacuuming was interrupted by a call from The Husband.  Our across the street neighbor handed me a container of smoked (I think that was the cooking method) pork.  Made for a fabulous lunch for the two of us with enough left over for tomorrow's lunch.  And again:  I'm convinced things taste better when that life-sustaining food is a gift from someone.  And someone with zero expectations, just someone being kind and thoughtful in sharing what they have.  I want to be more like that.

I'm grateful today for an unexpected invitation to dinner with my friend.  Just the two of us.  It'll be lovely to just go and chat.  She's a busy person and I am wont to wonder if I'm just an obligation.  I surely hope not, she's very dear to me. I'm grateful for WD-40 to lubricate all the pieces-parts (and just my favorite person to apply it) of the garage door and opener.  I'm hoping to delay replacing or repairing for a while longer.  It feels like we've had much more out-go lately than income.  I'm so grateful for beautiful fall days that are crisply cool in the mornings providing a reason to wear warmer clothes.  (I've always been much more a fan of winter layers than summer clothes.) And I'm grateful for a sock wardrobe.  I seem to always have just the right pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment