Tuesday (from Wednesday's thoughts)

I spent roughly an hour and 45 minutes yesterday in the ground floor center of a busy, bustling building.  Just waiting for The Husband.  I noticed the minute we walked into the door there was music playing.  One of those autoplaying pianos.  Lovely music.  I noticed during my time there the music was lots of songs from my Mom's era - older songs.  When popular music truly was melodic.  I recognized most all of the songs and could even sing along (in my head) the words.  

The music was not obtrusive, loud enough to mask a lot of the noisy undercurrents, but still pretty:  it was just the piano, no other instruments and the playing was flawless.  I noticed that I liked the way it seemed to bring a bit of calm. 

Then last night I heard this quote.  It struck me enough to look it up.  

Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time.” – Jean-Michel Basquiat 

And I might add, if we decorate time and space, perhaps we decorate our minds with knowledge and our souls with compassion and kindness. I'd like that kind of decoration.

After The Husband was finished with his appointment we decided to go around the corner to a restaurant we haven't eaten at in probably 40 years. In fact, it was at one of the previous locations we last ate there.  It's ridiculously pricey.  But we were reminded by some friends the other day that it's one of their favorite places.  And since we were in the neighborhood - which we very rarely are - we decided to just go for it.  Pretend we're on vacation or something. 

The food was good, but in my opinion a bit overrated (and at $19/sandwich pretty expensive).  The desserts - that they're renowned for - are way overpriced ($12 apiece). The one we tried was decent but not extraordinary.  It's a good thing we like to share a meal, sharing yesterday made the price almost bearable. Even though we felt conspicuously out of place, it was still fun.  The notable thing for me was seeing some ward members there.

I sat looking at her for a few minutes before it sank in that it was someone we know.  (Again, far above our station in life so not people we interact with for except for a casual "hi" in the halls at church.) Once The Husband realized who it was, he was up and over saying hi. She came over and gave me a hug, like we were friends.  And I give her much credit for being gracious and kind. 

How odd is it that we go into a place we haven't been to and run into people we know from our little area of Draper? Sometimes the world seems very small.  

Today I'm grateful for a trip to Target to buy a couple things.  I truly dislike spending money and lately everything seems priced so high as to feel out-of-reach.   It was interesting to see so many empty shelves at Target, though most everything we wanted was available and I was able to use my $5 gift card from the last time I bought laundry detergent.  I really like that I get one of those pretty much every time I buy Tide.

I'm grateful for moderate progress on the lap throw I'm crocheting for my friend.  For good books to read from the library and for leftovers for dinner.  The little things often make up for a lot of other things that are lacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment