Walk

Decided today to drive over to the southern section of the Jordan River Trail for our morning walk.  It was still w-a-y darker than we I like it to be, even with the nearly full moon lighting our way.  We didn't see any deer and heard only a few birds.  We walked long enough that it was daylight on the way back - got to see - up close and (almost) personal - the cows.  

Our walk took us to the bridge that crosses the river. It's a smallish river.  Usually.  I kept wondering if it was all icy (couldn't tell in the pre-dawn gloom) and why it looked so flat.  We were totally astonished when we stepped on the bridge to see how wide and deep and swift the water was.  That picture with the water and the bit of weeds down in the lower right corner?  Usually the water is about 1/4 that wide.  That little bit of weeds is generally 5-6 foot tall grasses, we've seen deer walking down inside that section of grass/weeds (and could hardly see the deer through the weeds).  At the shore side of the bridge the water was maybe 8 feet below the bridge.  It's usually at least twice that.  

And I fear I'm not describing it well enough.  It was such a strange sight.  In all our years of walking that trail we have never ever seen the water that high.  It was making very little noise (I guess there's not many rocks to roll around) and that added to the eeriness - it was just so fast and full it was almost unnerving. 

We chose to take the road at the spot it parallels the trail.  I have always loved a tree-lined road that curves.  My mind always jumps to the possibilities of what lies around the bend. Is it going to be fun?  Or scary?  Or just plain beautiful (and isn't that a juxtaposition of words?)  I know I've taken a picture at this exact spot numerous times - I couldn't resist it this morning, it's always lovely regardless of the season.

Did a quick grocery store trip.  I heard a noise behind me and there was Penny - our favorite (not including our grandson) checker.  Running down the aisle with her arms thrown wide to pull me into a hug.  Honestly, totally unexpected but so welcome.  She had one of her other store customers give her a beautiful warm coat for Christmas, she often does a shift out at the gas pumps.  That's the kind of person she is - one who engenders that kind of care.  She's one of those earthly angels spreading happy-glitter wherever she goes.  

Received a text yesterday.  The R.S. chorister is going to be out of town this weekend.  Could I please lead the song for her.  Choose the song and coordinate with the pianist, please?  Sure I said.  And was grateful she couldn't hear or see my grumpy attitude.   I have got to learn to be more pleasant about being asked to do things.  Generally I'm asked last minute; the other day I was told: "you're reliable, and responsible, and you're always here, never go anywhere".  I imagine that was meant to be a compliment.  Didn't quite feel that way.  At least I was grumpy mostly in private.  (Poor guy that's married to me:  he gets all my grumps!) And all those grumps were for nought - received another text today that because of Ward Conference there'll be no music, neither of us (pianist and chorister) is needed.  Yay for that.  Sad for my selfish attitude. I guess I'm still very much a work in progress.  I'll be as old as Methuselah before I manage to get my act together. I guess that means there's still hope for me?

Grateful that we are going out with some friends tonight.  It's always fun to get together with them.  I'll try to get my grumpiness under control before we go.  😬

No comments:

Post a Comment