It's Truly Official -- Again!!

 No pictures today. I dislike not having a picture to share. 

Anyway, today was a granddaughter's high school graduation.  We were so pleased to be invited, and even included.  We left the house plenty early - we thought.  The classes today are so big and the weather so unpredictable (our youngest child's high school graduation was cancelled at the beginning of the walk because of one of those sudden microburst thunderstorms - the wind was ferocious and since it was outside on the football field/stadium everyone ran for cover and the people in charge sent everyone home - a memorable graduation for sure) the graduation ceremonies are held in event centers all around the valley.  Today's was at UVU in Utah county.  

We were following the long line of cars creeping into the parking lot, everyone was being directed left to the large area.  We came along and she sent us right.  Into the area mostly filled with handicapped spots.  We found a close spot and kind of shrugged our shoulders as to why we were sent there, out of all the cars in the line, we seemed to be singled out to go into the smaller, very close lot.

Headed into the building, we were down on the lowest level.  The lady at the door sent us left "to the elevators".  I balked at that, we decided to go out for the stairs.  I'm just saying I'm perfectly able bodied and capable of climbing stairs (in spite of arthritic knees).  So we were met at the bottom of the stairs by a cute lady usher telling us the elevators were back the other way.  I turned to The Husband and said do we look that old? Do we look infirm?  It was a rude awakening to me that I no longer remotely resemble someone young.  I know I've already mentioned more than once that I'm "officially" old.  But my brain says otherwise. And I do my best to keep my body functioning well enough that I can handle some stairs.  

I'm truly not complaining about the people directing us to the elevators.  Just bemoaning that we both look like someone who needs them.  Dangnabit!  I'm not ready to be old.  And I'm a bit feisty about it.

Came across this article today.  I thought it was worth including.  It's kind of a lesson for me.  I loathe asking for help.  Most often I will turn it down if it's offered. Have been trying to do better at letting people lend me some assistance.  It's hard.

One Question

Today I'm grateful for the sunshine and the cooler-than-yesterday temps.  I'm grateful to have been able to see a bit of family today and that things weren't terribly awkward.  Am grateful to see some more family in about 9 or 10 days and some closer family tonight/tomorrow. I'm looking forward to seeing a play at Hale Theater tonight, and grateful we were able to renew our tickets for next year.  Trying hard to find some bits of happiness and gratitude.  It helps when things seem too odd and different.

No comments:

Post a Comment