So. Where to begin? Actually had the fireplace fixed. Called a company and they came within a few days - I expected a long wait for service. Interesting guy that did the service - he's from Ukraine and we had a bit of a conversation. There were several things wrong with the fireplace, several things mean several more increments of money outgo. Learned that when the gas flame is blue and getting blue-er it means it is being oxygen deprived. The culprit? A piece of roofing shingle that managed to find its way into the vent pipe. Since then things seem to be working well. Though we aren't having the fireplace on just now - still too hot. Is it obvious that I'm pretty done with summer and the heat?
While he was here I practiced the piano. He was excited to show me a video he took of the fireplace burning with the piano music as the soundtrack. I guess he enjoyed the music.
These people that come work on things around the house? They like to be paid with a check. When I paid for the window, I didn't realize I wrote the very last check. No idea where the order form ended up. After quite a period of time online/on the phone with the credit union, I finally got some checks ordered - got the smallest number of checks possible. They arrived quickly but oh, so wrong. So many things. I was going to try to just live with it, but decided that since I'd spent the money to have them done, they might as well be done properly. Again, on the phone. Nice young man who helped me, seemed to know his stuff. Though he admitted that he'd never actually written a check, wouldn't really know how. Sheesh, I'm feeling my age. The new ones he ordered will arrive soon, fingers crossed.Bought some new seed for the birds. Watched a squirrel (think it's a fox squirrel) absolutely decimate a whole lot of the last seed cake we had out there. Thought these feeders were squirrel resistant. But the critter is determined, determined and determined. At the store, the guy recommended the hot pepper seed cake. With only a bit of hesitation we bought some. Watched the squirrel this morning head for the new seed. Was only there momentarily. Leapt to the other feeder with the remaining non-peppery seed and did his best to finish it off. While I ate breakfast I watched him visit the non-pepper seed a lot. It appears the pepper seed is effective for this little squirrel. Birds don't have the sensory receptors that mammals do so the birds don't mind the pepper. So far, I think we have a winner. (The picture was taken through the window and cropped many many times, hence the blurriness.)
And finally: I had some serious trembling and heart racing yesterday. Stopped at a store we rarely go to. Pulled into a shady parking spot and remarked out loud that it might be tricky getting out of that particular spot because of the lot traffic. Wanted the shade so parked there anyway. Shoulda listened to my inner voice. In and out of the store quick, got in the car and was backing out, after looking and looking and looking to make sure it was all clear. All of a sudden: crunch. Yup, I bumped someone. Pulled the car forward and got out. Can't see a single thing on the car. The woman who crunged me? She was pulling forward out of a spot she'd backed into and just kept going, apparently not even looking to see that I was already backing out of my spot. She didn't stop. Didn't look my way. Didn't even slow her forward progress, just headed out to the street and was gone. I was a wreck. Was still trembling when we arrived home 25 minutes later. Sigh. I always think about the cost and complications of something going awry. Wish I could stop that kind of "future" thinking. (Is that the same as "borrowing trouble"?)
I think yellow roses are my favorite. Two of these five were ready for the trash yesterday. Instead, I cut off a good length of stem, plunked them in fresh water and this morning they were all happy and smiling. Glad I didn't give up on them.
I'm feeling a bit less stressed today. Now that Robert's song is over and there's not that pressure I'm feeling better. I think it went ok, he sounded good to me. I made a couple mistakes, though tried to not let them be obvious. Only two people said anything to me about it. Perhaps no one liked it. As long, though, as Heavenly Father was accepting of our offering I'm good. I don't really need (though it could be pleasant) the validation of other people. I just want to bring the Spirit and please our Creator. I hope that happened. Not sure I'll ever know.
Grateful today for no damage to the car. And no lasting damage to my heart. 😄 Grateful for cooler weather for a few days - 49 degrees when we left the house for our walk. Grateful that they're coming in a while to paint the ceiling. I'm nervous about this, but hopefully it'll go well and won't break the bank. Grateful for food in the cupboards, recipes to use them with and hugs from loved ones.


No comments:
Post a Comment