Gentleness

I've been thinking a lot about this word lately.  It seems like there has been a reduction of this quality in the world around me.  (And I'm certain I've done my share of contributing to the reduction.)

It feels like people in general have lost the art of gentleness.  Interrupting another in conversation is rampant, propelling the words that can't seem to leave one's mouth fast enough.  Being rough with another's feelings - demanding they act in accordance with one's own parameters, time frame, desires and rules.

Thinking about this, and by extension the characteristic of gentility (the quality of being well-mannered) has led me to an increased awareness of my own actions in this regard.  I find I tend to naturally be impatient, and want others to march to my drummer.  I find myself re-thinking comments I've made and wish to retract considering how they might (though unintentional) bruise someone's feelings.

So, I've decided to work harder.  I'd like other people to be gentle with my heart.  If I promise to do the best I can to be gentle with your heart, maybe you could return the favor. I believe that all of our hearts are tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment