The Art Of...

Talking on the telephone.  Decided I'm not good at it.  My rhythm is all wrong.  Some people have a knack for speaking, then waiting for a second.  This allows the other person time to speak if they wish. (I'm still working - sometimes successfully - on not interrupting.)  Don't have that natural pacing that allows the other person to jump in.  Facial expressions can give verbal clues when the other person wishes to speak.  Our home phone doesn't have the capability to show faces when speaking on it.

Swallow quickly!
Therefore, my private (I guess public, now) goal is to learn to speak more considerately on the telephone.  Slow down my processes, both mental and verbal, so as to have a more enjoyable conversation.  (But I should mention, I'm not really fond of talking on the phone.  Have spent many many hours doing it, not my happy way of spending time.) I truly am a work in progress. (Lots of work, questionable progress.)

And tonight's gratitude:  For our home teacher/friend who suggested this (old-fashioned, time-tested) remedy for my nagging uncomfortable cough. Equal parts apple cider vinegar, honey and water. So grateful for the suggestion, for having the (fairly inexpensive)  ingredients, and for the ability to place it on the back of my tongue so I almost don't taste it.

No comments:

Post a Comment