Another New Day

...during which I shall attempt - once again - to be kind, thoughtful, non-judgmental  and all those other good things which are too numerous to mention, but are too important to forget.

Yesterday in church found us listening to a young friend of ours as he related a bit of his history.  He has overcome much - and without the help or support of any of his family.  He has my admiration.  He also caused me to reflect on how lucky (blessed?) I have been (in spite of my challenging growing up environment) to be surrounded by the gospel of Jesus Christ; to have been included in that circle of people who choose to seek a higher standard of life.

A lovely morning sky!
Decided to go for a bike ride this morning. The time of day I like to be out is also the time of day the "hard-core" bikers and runners are out.  They are so serious and focused on their workout.  Me?  I just trundle along at my 7 or 8 mph pace and enjoy the journey.  (See, Husband, I listen to you!) Personally, I'm not that much into the competition side of life - it diminishes my enjoyment of every day, don't like to be fussing about who is winning or losing.  I definitely allow others their own perspective on things. But, fear, though, they miss seeing/hearing stuff - like the two deer I saw bounding along the RR track, the meadowlarks and their lovely morning greeting, the papa quail who saved the mama quail from the danger, the heavenly scent of the honeysuckle...I love it all.

Read an article the other day (titled "Becoming Perfect in Christ" - Gerrit W. Gong) that was a great exposition - I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Among other thought provoking things, the author wrote "...if we are humble, we will be surprised by goodness in unexpected places..."  And while he was speaking in a specific context, I was struck by the all around application - the reminder that humility should be a sought-after trait.  Arrogance isn't nearly as attractive.

This day I will strive to be more aware - of all the good that surrounds me.

And here's an addendum: a favorite experience of the day.....coming out of the post office I spied a 5-year-old friend of mine from Primary - with, of course, her Mom (also a friend).  Leaning down to be in her field of vision: "there's someone I know!" Straight to me she comes and leans heavily into me for a hug!   I didn't even mind she was coming from swimming lessons and was wet all over.  I loved it!

(P.S. Beware women in parking lots dispensing "free" shopping carts.  What the real story is: they are too lazy to return the cart to the store/cart return and are determined to push that small chore onto someone else.  Just saying....)

No comments:

Post a Comment