Interesting Weekend

Went out with our friends for dinner friday.  The poor guys - ready to go home - were standing around waiting for us women to quit talking.  I never feel like I get enough social with certain people, which is odd because I don't generally do too well with too much sociality.  But with some people, it's always a good thing. We had a grand time.

The storehouse on Saturday morning was a bit of a challenge with this silly boot.  It'd been a couple weeks since we were there and neither one of us is very often on our feet for four hours straight.  It does take a bit more energy to move around with the boot. So far I haven't gained any weight (which was a real concern of mine) and that's a good thing.  We came home and spent some time in our lazy-boys - the quintessential old people in their rocking chairs.  Yup, that's us.

I wore my longest skirt to church yesterday - wanted the boot to be as unnoticeable as possible.  Still had to explain more than I wanted to.  (And yes, it does feel like the silly thing is controlling my life at this point.  Dr. said to wear it for 3 weeks - that's 21 days - and I'm finally to day 8 today. A way to go still.) Sitting in R. S. we heard that a member of the other ward (that we used to be part of before the ward split) had passed.  That was on top of learning first thing before church that a much loved sister in our ward passed on Saturday night.  It was an emotional day for lots of us.   

And I ran across this quote the other day.  I'm kind of / sort of a collector of quotes.  I loved this one.

"As I get older I find myself being more aware of:  noticing how the people around me make me feel, of no longer taking up space in places where I don't feel wanted, of embracing the attractiveness of simplicity ...that the little things in life are the big things (hugs that last a bit longer, a check-in text)...oh, and that there is always room for kindness." h.e.l.e.n.m.a.r.i.e    

I tried to copy and paste the quote, but couldn't.  And there were some more words that I left out.  But those were the parts that meant the most to me.

And we saw this sign at Hobby Lobby the other day - it's not quite sure who to attribute it to.  But still worth sharing. (We'd been home for too many days in a row and Hobby Lobby was our little excursion.  It's good for us to get out in the sunshine and around people.)

Today I'm grateful for kindness in all forms.  Even a simple "we love you" from someone un-related.  I continue to believe that words have immense power.  I'm grateful for an invitation to dinner this week from a friend at the storehouse.  Grateful for leftovers for dinner.  Grateful that some sorely weathered doorframes will be painted and done in time to dry before the predicted (and much hoped for) rain.  For a grandson's birthday to celebrate.  And for hope that my foot will heal without surgery.

No comments:

Post a Comment