Mental Meanderings

Four years and a couple months ago, I decided to start a blog.  (Don't really consider myself a trend follower, but perhaps in some areas I really am.)  I wasn't sure where I was going with it.  I just had this desire to "say my piece".  Probably only 2 or 3 people actually read this blog; that's fine, it somehow fills a need I seem to have.

I don't consider myself a writer - or photographer - it just seemed easier to put my thoughts out there via computer keyboard than pen-and-paper-journal.  (Although I still use one of those for certain things.)

I am prone to fits of negative thought.  I haven't ever really had much self-esteem, building self esteem wasn't part of my upbringing.  So I have to fight those contrary tendencies of mine.  (And yes, I often wish I was more content, that I didn't envy others even the teensiest bit. I have many, many faults.)

The thing is, though, I've discovered a benefit from this blogging thing I wasn't expecting.  Throughout my day in the back of my mind are little tidbits I tuck away as possible blog subjects.  Not wanting to be a "Negative Nelly" it seems those little tidbits are often happy things.  Or things I find uplifting.  Or beautiful.  Or kind.  Something worth sharing.

In other words, I think I have become more aware of this life of mine and all its blessings and possibilities.  And that is a good thing.

I was reminded of that just this morning as I read this:  "Write it on your heart that every day is the best day of the year."  - R. W. Emerson.  Then I went looking and found the rest of the poem.  Funny that I hadn't ever come across this before.  (Or perhaps I did and forgot...I'm getting to be that age.)

Write it on your heart
that every day is the best day in the year.
He is rich who owns the day,
and no one owns the day
who allows it to be invaded with fret and anxiety.
Finish every day and be done with it.
You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities, no doubt, crept in.
Forget them as soon as you can, tomorrow is a
new day;
begin it well and serenely,
with too high a spirit to be cumbered with your old nonsense.
This new day is too dear, with its hopes and invitations,
to waste a moment on the yesterdays...

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

And I absolutely have to share these two trees.  I really thought the blossoming trees had peaked and the beauty of those flowers was finished for the season.  Not so as my morning walk revealed to me.  I will ever be grateful for the beauty of this world and the kind souls that live in it.



Click to see a larger version of this beauty.



No comments:

Post a Comment