I'm Showing My Age

I've always heard it said that old people talk about not much except their ailments and the weather.  The weather has always interested me so I've talked about it a lot through my life.  Who can study the sky day after day and not be interested in what is going on up there?

6:12 a.m. and 0.3 degrees outside.
Today's weather comments are precipitated (like that wordplay?) by the cold temps we've been having. At 1 this morning it was 1 degree outside.  Since we have a couple vulnerable places in our home, we were mindful of them as we prepared to hunker in for the night last evening.  The sun is smiling brightly on our little corner of the world right now, but it is still only about 15 degrees.

I've been list making and planning and think that if I'm careful I might, just might, manage to get all the preparations for Christmas complete.  I'm sad The Husband will be missing any work activities/parties in CA.  But, we have our Christmas concert at the Symphony next week and that will help.

Out and about a bit yesterday I was struck yet again by the preponderance of fake eyelashes. I don't criticize others for their fondness for visual enhancements (fake nails/hair color/body shapes, etc.) it just isn't for me. (Mostly practical reasons - I dislike spending money and time that way.) However, the fake eyelashes are one thing that I just don't "get".  Utah's famously blonde population that likes to wear those black caterpillars on their eyelids just look odd to me.  Incongruous.  So there I am wandering the grocery trying to remember what I was sure I was forgetting and saw several women running around in sweats and exercise clothes, (grubbies we used to call that kind of thing before those clothes became fashionable), light colored hair almost past time for shampooing and yet there were those long, dark, thick eyelashes preceding them down the aisle. It's probably for the best that I don't "get" them.  I couldn't carry off that look.

Today's gratitude:  for working furnaces, down comforters, and enough electricity to keep the cold and discomfort outdoors and not inside.  (And mascara.)

No comments:

Post a Comment