Heart-ful day

Sitting watching people come into the room I noticed a familiar smile.  Received a quick hug and can I sit with you?  After ascertaining that I wasn't keeping her from her friends I said I'd be delighted to have her sit with me.  Are you alone, is your husband coming? she asked.  Nope, he's out of town.  And then  - it came.  The spontaneous natural kindness from her that actually caused a catch in my breath.  How lucky for me she said, I get you to myself.  She will likely never know how that lovely response touched my very soul.  Even now, it kind of brings a humble tear to my eye.  I won't quickly forget the much-needed love I felt from her.

Received a call from The Husband.  He could hardly speak.  That kind of sadness doesn't surface much from him - he's one of those naturally sunny-dispositioned people.  I thought my heart was going to beat out of my chest as I waited for him to manage to speak (and tried to quiet the myriad thoughts racing through my mind as to what had happened).  A long-time friend passed on. Unexpectedly.  A more generous soul would be hard to find.  (When The Husband was commuting each week from here to CA for work, this kind friend opened his home and provided, free, a place for The Husband to stay. And that's barely the beginning of his generous nature.)

I don't know if it is our age, or what, but it sure seems like we hear far to much of this kind of sad (for us, anyway) news.  The Husband wasn't able to chat with his friend when last he called.  And is feeling some regret, which also hurts his heart. The memories of his good friend will linger.  

And though it's snowing outside, it's spring inside the grocery.  I surely needed that burst of flowery color.  Even though my orchids are heavenly pretty (and blooming well), they are a bit more subdued and don't have quite this punch of color that lifts my spirits even more.

How grateful I am for kind souls.  For those who aren't afraid to love another regardless of differing status or baggage or faults or less than beautiful souls.  

No comments:

Post a Comment