Minor Peeves

A favorite of mine!
My morning walk took a bit longer this a.m.  Had to keep stopping and burying my nose in the blooming lilacs that line the trail.  Resisted the urge to steal a stem.  There is nothing like the scent of a lilac - heavenly.

There are a couple things that make me a bit peevish.  (Actually probably more than a couple, but I try to rise above them.)

I don't mind going to the checker who is in his "first year of service." Am not quite so amenable to inanities uttered in the guise of being friendly.  He's remarking about my purchases (which also annoys me, I'd really rather not hear his evaluation of what I'm buying) and gets to the treat I'm getting (not interested in commentary on this purchase -- he-likes-it-he-rarely-asks-for-it-and-I'm-getting-it-for-him-when-he-does-ask) for The Husband: Diet Pepsi.  As the checker is scanning it he sez, "need a little sugar in there, too." Seriously?  Diet Pepsi.  (And that was only one of his "out-there" comments.) Poor guy, I shouldn't be so hard on him, I know he's just trying.

Current pet peeve #2:  people who leave their grocery carts strewn across the parking lot.  Between the store and my car there were three just left out in the middle.  To do damage to some unsuspecting car. To require some poor soul to retrieve them.  Selfishness reigns.

My particular store is considering eliminating plastic bags from their use.  Other stores in this local chain have already done so.  Yay,  I like that.

Self-critical pet peeve:  my propensity to say the wrong thing.  Wrong time, wrong person, wrong words - doesn't matter - I manage to do them all.  Sigh.....You'd think I'd be better at curtailing it by this advanced age.

Current pet peeve #3:  telemarketers.  I feel really bad for people who have to resort to that kind of work.  I try to be pleasant to them.  It's a struggle.  I'm going back to my policy of not answering a number I don't recognize.  Perhaps, if I extend that thought out, this pet peeve might be my own fault, it wouldn't bother me if I didn't answer the phone.

We cooed over a 6 week old baby yesterday.  The Husband is particularly taken with her.  He remarked to me later that (to him) there is something extraordinary about this little one.  He wondered if he knew her before.  I so love that concept.  I'd love to find that person that was my friend in the pre-existence.  I could use a friend.
I think this one is heading home.

Had to snap this pic of the chicken crossing the trail.  Reminded me of that old joke about why the chicken crossed the road.

Today's bit of gratitude:  that we have grocery carts, and the wherewithal to fill them, the full shelves at the grocery, the food that fills our tummies.  So, so much to be grateful for.

(Also feeling gratitude for loved ones (especially non-critical ones), for fun visits, for friendly smiles and for good hugs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment