Am I The Only One?

That does dumb stuff?  And then looks around to see if anyone noticed?

Yesterday, I walked out of the store, right over to the red Prius, opened the hatchback to stow my bag - and was shocked into complete stillness.  Where did all those clothes come from?  It looks like I'm living out of the back of my car!

Yep, it was someone else's car.  Parked in the same spot, one aisle over. I had walked out a different door and over to the wrong car.

And yes, I was embarrassed.  And I did look around to see if anyone else saw what I did.  (He must leave his car unlocked all the time, mine has auto-unlock from the key fob when I approach the car. Thought I just didn't hear it unlock.)

Salad and Lasagne Bolognese
Reminds me of the time I unthinkingly climbed into the back of the wrong pickup.  (We'd been driven to lunch in their truck by our kids, it was only a similar pickup.  They are still laughing about my faux pas!)

• For dinner we redeemed a gift card to one of my favorite eateries.  The salads are large.  The Husband mentioned that I'd be needing a to-go box, that I'd never finish it all.  Wasn't he surprised when I had no trouble scarfing it down in like 3 minutes.  I even shoveled in the bomboloni dessert without hesitation.  (And then was anxious to get home and out of those jeans that suddenly felt tight!)

Almost sunrise looking across the park.
• A library book needing to be returned gave my morning walk in the light snow shower a purpose.  I had the trail mostly to myself.  Even the dogs were leashed.  The horses liked their carrots and 30 degrees out felt almost warm. It was lovely.

• Read in the paper this morning about a standing room only talk given at BYU yesterday by Daniel Mark (according to the paper a conservative Jew) - one of 9 members of the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom.  Made me wish I'd been there to hear it.  He "prescribed family home evening for a healthy future of U.S. religious freedom and as a remedy for American political discourse."  That neighborhood get-togethers, pot luck meals with community members and such involvement of our city-family is good for our society.

The article further went on "Burdens are rarely distributed evenly in families which don't operate on individual rights.  Quoting Mr. Mark again - and this is the point I wanted to get to but felt like I needed to fill in the backstory - "In a family the central virtue is not justice but mercy."

How grateful I am for mercy. In all its forms.

No comments:

Post a Comment