Kindness

I never tire of our view.  I think the world is glorious.
It seems lately like I've been reading a lot about how we need to always be kind to others.  Not a new concept.  Just feels like it's been on a lot of minds lately.  Read an article yesterday about how a complete stranger's unexpected kindness changed a woman's life. It still lingers in my mind.

So, this morning when I had to run to the store (what does it mean when every single handicapped parking spot (and there are like 15 of them) at the Super WalMart has a car sitting in it? And, no, I wasn't looking for one for myself.) I caught myself thinking about my own attitudes.  While shopping, I got annoyed a couple times.  Though I'm not usually one to make any comments or behave rudely (at least I don't think I am, I try not to be that way- but I can't say I never have) I was struck by the mental adjustment I had to make.  Yes, people are thoughtless.  And self-absorbed.  And inconsiderate.  And unaware.  (And sometimes even deliberately unkind.) But I don't have to be that way.  (I guess when one is a natural grump, one has to work harder at being kind, at not sharing the grumps.)

Then I came across this quote by Emily Dickinson. And became (again) an instant fan of her view.  I think she would be fascinating to chat with. (And there is some question as to whether she actually said this or someone else did.  Whatever, I still like the sentiment.)

"Sometimes when I consider the tremendous consequences from little things … a chance word … a tap on the shoulder or a wink of an eye, I am tempted to think there are no little things." — Emily Dickinson

No comments:

Post a Comment